Thomas More Marrone
866-466-5789 (Toll Free)
“I can’t stand it when big guys pick on little guys,” explains Attorney Tom Marrone. “I grew up in a family of immigrants. I grew up with the ‘little guys.’ They were my grandparents, my mom and dad, my aunts and uncles and cousins..... so I take that kind of thing very personally.”
That’s why for over twenty-five years Tom Marrone has creatively, aggressively, and successfully represented people who are fighting for their rights, often against tough opponents.
Marrone represents individuals in a variety of complex civil litigation matters, especially class actions, FLSA collective actions, wage & hour claims, fire and flood cases, catastrophic personal injury claims, insurance matters, consumer protection, fraud and deceptive practices actions, attorney malpractice, wrongful use of civil proceedings (“Dragonetti” Act), product liability, and appellate advocacy.
Admitted to practice in the State and Federal courts of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York, and before the Supreme Court of the United States, Tom has served as court-approved class counsel in cutting edge class actions involving, among others, invasion of privacy, patient rights, insurance coverage, wage & hour, the Fair Labor Standards Act, health insurer liability, fraud, catastrophic flooding, fire, property damage, consumer protection, and toxic substances.
“When I was a boy, my dad sold law books and he would tell me stories about the great lawyers he met; that’s where I really learned to appreciate the good things a smart, persistent lawyer with guts can do for people,” says Marrone. “My dad had a great admiration for lawyers who used their knowledge and their expertise to fight for people who couldn’t fight for themselves. He thought that was the highest calling, and I’m very lucky that he passed that on to me. I got my toughness from my dad and my sense of justice from my mom.”
Born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Tom received his undergraduate and law degrees from Villanova University, and is a Fellow of the Academy of Advocacy of Temple University, an intensive trial "boot camp" under the tutelage of premier trial lawyers and eminent judges.
He has instructed other lawyers on class action litigation and on sophisticated insurance coverage matters, and has argued a number of cases before Pennsylvania’s appellate courts. Currently, he is a member of the Philadelphia and New York Bar Associations, the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association, and Pennsylvania and American Associations for Justice.
Tom is a member of Million Dollar Advocates Forum and his peers have regularly selected him as one of their best. He has been and is currently listed as one of the top 5% of Class Action/Mass Tort Lawyers in Pennsylvania by Super Lawyers, as one of the Lawdragon 3000 Leading Plaintiff's Lawyers in America, one of The Best Lawyers In America for Personal Injury, and as a member of The National Trial Lawyers – Top 100 Trial lawyers in Pennsylvania. Tom has earned an "AV" peer rating from Martindale-Hubbell. According to Martindale-Hubbell this rating indicates "the highest level of legal ability and ethics. The pinnacle of professional excellence."
BOYHOOD HERO: Ben Hogan (“He worked hard and he never, ever gave up.”)
FAVORITE MOVIE ABOUT THE LAW: Prince of the City
IF I’M NOT IN THE OFFICE, I’M PROBABLY: With my son
Tom's Recent Successes:
- Obtained Class Certification in a case arising from a catastrophic apartment building fire in West Philadelphia. The court certified a class on behalf of all tenants, residents, and guests who were left immediately homeless, suffered near total loss of their personal property, and suffered economic harm. On behalf of the class, Tom Marrone seeks to recover compensatory and punitive damages for negligence and public nuisance against the owners and managers of the apartment building.
- Negotiating a $1 million dollar settlement on behalf of shop maintenance workers, after obtainingconditional certification of a collective (class) action in a nationwide Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) case against Ryder Truck Rental, Inc. arising out of the log-in process that Ryder's morethan 8,500 shop maintenance workers must use when beginning their shifts. The United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania has approved the settlement.
- Obtaining Superior Court reversal of dismissal of class action against Nieman Marcus alleging unlawful imposition of sales tax on tax-exempt purchases.
- Unanimous Pennsylvania Supreme Court affirmance of class certification and summary judgment in a class action alleging medical record overbilling.
- Summary judgment and a $2 million dollar settlement in a claim for wrongful use of civil proceedings under Pennsylvania's Dragonetti Act.
- A substantial settlement against the Archdiocese of Philadelphia for catastrophic injuries suffered by a freshman football player during practice.
- Class certification and settlement of a class action against the Philadelphia Gas Works for testing thousands of homes for mercury following PGW’s removal of gas regulators.
- Settlements in wage and hour actions.
- Seven figure settlements in two class actions arising from well water contamination.
- Verdicts & Settlements
Justices Uphold Award Over Medical Records Overcharge (The Legal Intelligencer)
Preliminary Approval Granted in Shumski v. Theta Land Services et al
Preliminary Approval Granted in Bethune v. Maxim Healthcare Services
Dragonetti Act Case Settles for $2 Million (The Legal Intelligencer)
$2 Million Settlement Reached in Dragonetti Case
Mecury-Exposure Class Action Certified Against PGW (The Legal Intelligencer)
Class Action Certified Against PGW (The Legal Intelligencer)
Summary Judgment Granted to Plaintiffs In Overcharging Class Action
Homeowners Sue PGW to Have Tests
Class of Attorneys Certified in Pricing Lawsuit Against Medical Records Provider
$3.5 Million Settlement in Class Action Lawsuit Against Fake Doctor
Class Action Lawsuit Claims Bills for Copying Medical Records Were Padded
Class Action Certified for Pennsylvania Car Owners
$900,000 Recovery for Family of Worker Struck on Job Site
Tenant Certified as Class in Electricity Suit
Thomas More Marrone Win in Superior Court While Representing Client in Legal Malpractice Case
Thomas More Marrone Wins Legal Victory in Disability Claim
Book Buyers Were Duped into Purchase
$3.4 Million Recovery for Roof Worker Injured in Fall
Thomas More Marrone Wins Coverage Dispute: Insurer Must Provide Coverage to Each Claimant
Thomas More Marrone Secures Conditional Class Action Certification on Behalf of Ryder Truck Rental Maintenance Employees June 10, 2011
Philadelphia Trial Lawyer Prevails in Pennsylvania Superior Court Class Action Matter Regarding Neiman Marcus June 5, 2011
Thomas More Marrone Presents Creative Trial Strategies Program with The Legal Intelligencer May 12, 2011
WHYY Radio Interviews Thomas More Marrone about Phila. Law Firm Investigated over Foreclosures December 8, 2010
State Supreme Court Takes Case on Prorating Deductibles (The Legal Intelligencer) November 30, 2010
Justices Eye Class Action in Homeowner Insurance Case (The Legal Intelligencer) July 6, 2010
3rd Circuit: IRS and H&R Block Cannot Be Sued Over E-Filing Fees (The Legal Intelligencer) March 5, 2010
Justices Uphold Award Over Medical Records Overcharge (The Legal Intelligencer) November 18, 2009
Preliminary Approval Granted in Shumski v. Theta Land Services et al. September 22, 2009
Preliminary Approval granted in Bethune v. Maxim Healthcare Services July 27, 2009
Preliminary Approval Granted for Ivy Industrial Park Class Action Settlement January 23, 2009
Summary Notice of Proposed Class Action Settlement: Brophy v. Philadelphia Gas Works January 16, 2009
Dragonetti Act Case Settles for $2 Million (The Legal Intelligencer) October 9, 2008
$2 Million Settlement Reached in Dragonetti Case September 26, 2008
"Mercury-Exposure" Class Action Certified Against PGW (The Legal Intelligencer) July 28, 2008
Class Action Certified Against PGW (The Legal Intelligencer) July 24, 2008
Suit Goes After Tax E-Filing Fees (BusinessWeek.com) November 16, 2007
Lawsuit Accuses Tax Preparers of Overcharging (Daily Business Review, Miami) November 16, 2007
Suit Goes After Tax E-Filing Fees (AOLMoneyandFinance.com) November 15, 2007
Phila. Woman Seeks Lawsuit Over Online Tax Filing (CBS3.com) November 15, 2007
Suit Goes After Tax E-Filing Fees (CNBC.com) November 15, 2007
Suit Alleges Tax Companies Overcharge for E-Filing (CNNMoney.com) November 15, 2007
Suit Goes After Tax E-Filing Fees (Forbes.com) November 15, 2007
$1B Class Action Claims E-Filing Group Overcharged (ABA Journal) November 15, 2007
Thomas More Marrone Files National Class Action Against Income Tax Software Industry Cartel for Billions (PR Newswire) November 15, 2007
NBC 10 Tracy Davidson Consumer Report - E-Filing Fees (WCAU-TV NBC 10 All That & More Show) November 15, 2007
Suit Goes After Tax E-Filing Fees (NetscapeMoney&Business.com) November 15, 2007
Suit: Tax Companies Overcharge for E-filing (Phillyburbs.com) November 15, 2007
Suit: Tax Companies Overcharge for E-filing (Philly.com) November 15, 2007
Law Firm Sues Over Tax Software (The Intelligencer) November 15, 2007
Suit Goes After Tax E-Filing Fees (MSNMoney.com) November 15, 2007
Thomas More Marrone Files National Class Action Against Income Tax Software Industry Cartel for Billions (Los Angeles Times) November 14, 2007
Tax Software Companies Face Proposed Class Action Over E-Filing (The Legal Intelligencer) November 14, 2007
Thomas More Marrone Files National Class Action Against Income Tax Software Industry Cartel for Billions (Seattle Post) November 14, 2007
Tax Preparers Face Proposed Class Action Over E-Filing (Law.com) November 14, 2007
Thomas More Marrone Files National Class Action Suit Against Income Tax Software Industry Cartel for Billions November 14, 2007
Thomas More Marrone Files National Class Action Against Income Tax Software Industry Cartel for Billions (Yahoo!Finance.com) November 14, 2007
Tax Preparers Face Proposed Class Action Over E-Filing (The Legal Intelligencer) November 14, 2007
Thomas More Marrone Wins in Superior Court While Representing Clients in Legal Malpractice Case December, 2000
Thomas More Marrone Wins Legal Victory in Disability Claim September, 2000
Thomas More Marrone Wins Coverage Dispute: Insurer Must Provide Coverage to Each Claimant June 9, 1998
- Pennsylvania, 1987
- New Jersey, 1987
- New York, 2009
- Supreme Court of the United States of America, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1992
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1987
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1987
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania, 2012
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 2013
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2013
- Villanova University School of Law, Villanova, Pennsylvania
- Temple University School of Law, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Honors: Academy of Advocacy
- Villanova University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- B.A. - 1984
- National Seminar, ALI-ABA, 2011 - Present
- Creative Trial Strategies Program, The Legal Intelligencer, 2011 - Present
Honors and Awards
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2005, 2010-present
- Lawdragon 3000 Leading Plaintiff Lawyers in America
- Top Lateral Moves in Pennsylvania 2012, The Legal Intellingencer
- Best Lawyers in America, 2013
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, National Trial Lawyers, 2012
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice
- Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- The National Trial Lawyers
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Pro Bono Activities
- Philadelphia Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts